Conservatorship of an Adult – Person and Estate Category: Guardianship and Conservatorship


A conservatorship is a legal arrangement on which a responsible adult or organization oversees the personal care or financial matters of another adult considered to be incapable of managing alone. The person who cannot care for him or herself is called the conservatee. The person or organization the judge chooses to do this is known as the conservator. A conservator can be a family member, friend or professional person.


Learn About It If you have a close friend or family member who is suffering from severe physical or mental illness, recovering from a serious accident, or declining mentally or physically as a result of aging, they may need your help, including finding a place to live, obtaining healthcare, or...

Read More
Determining Competency to Sign a Durable Power of Attorney

Learn About It To create and sign a Durable Power of Attorney (DPOA), you must be “competent,” also referred to as “of sound mind.” That means you must have the mental capacity to understand the benefits, risks and effect of signing the document. Understanding the meaning and effect of the document before...

Read More
SH@LL (Self Help @ the Law Library) (formerly Civil Self Help Center)
Accidents and Torts
SH@LL provides general information and basic assistance to people without attorneys on a variety of civil legal issues. All assistance is provided by telephone or Zoom videoconference. Visit “What We Help With” for a list of qualifying cases. Eligibility: Must be a Sacramento County resident or have a qualifying case in the Sacramento County Superior Court.
Disability Rights California  
Administrative Law
Advice on rights, some legal representation available for disability-related legal matters.
Elder and Health Law Clinic
Estates Wills and Trusts
Academic year only. Typically open for intake during June/July and November/December for one to two weeks., Certified law students provide legal advice and undertake representation of low-income individuals 60 and older in the greater Sacramento area. Priority cases include nursing home residents’ rights, alternatives to conservatorships, Social Security, Medicare, Medi-Cal, SSI, health care access, housing, elder abuse, advance health care directives, and simple estate planning tools.
Family Law Facilitator
Courts and Procedure
Family law self help assistance, including forms assistance, file review, preparation of orders and judgments and other forms of procedural assistance. Also assists with Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Elder Abuse Restraining Orders,  Probate Guardianship, and Limited Conservatorship cases. Eligibility: Must have family law case in Sacramento County Superior Court.
Capital Pro Bono Guardianship Assistance
Guardianship and Conservatorship
Capital Pro Bono can help you obtain guardianship over a minor child who is not your own. This may be necessary if the child’s parents are deceased or currently unable to care for the child. CPB can also provide advice if you need to get conservatorship over an adult. This may be needed to properly care for a disabled adult. CPB unfortunately cannot provide any help if the child or adult has money that needs to be managed.
Adult Protective Services
APS investigates reports of elderly and dependent adults in danger due to abuse, neglect, exploitation, or hazardous or unsafe living conditions, can serve as an advocate for elderly and dependent adults in situations with landlords, doctors, hospitals, and other social services.
Aclarar las Notas de Calendario en un caso de Tutela (Clearing Probate Notes in a Guardianship Case)

Contexto En Sacramento, el examinador de archivos de testamentarios revisa las solicitudes y expedientes de la corte en cada caso de tutela (“guardianship”) o tutelaje (“conservatorship”), y crea un documento que señala cuales formularios necesarios aún tienen que ser archivados con la corte. Esta información se publica en el sitio...

Read More
Renewing an LPS Conservatorship

Background Lanterman-Petris-Short Act (LPS) conservators may be appointed for "any person who is gravely disabled as a result of mental disorder or impairment by chronic alcoholism" when that person is unwilling or unable to accept treatment voluntarily. (California Welfare & Institutions Code (WIC) §§5350, 5352.) Because they restrict the conservatee’s civil...

Read More
Shopping cart0
There are no products in the cart!