Traffic Court

Lee en español: Corte de tráfico

General information

Failure to pay

Failure to pay as agreed will result in your account becoming delinquent. Collection enforcement includes, but is not limited to, garnishment of your wages, seizure of funds in your bank account(s), placement of a lien on any real property you own, the balance of your fine reported to various credit bureaus as delinquent, and seizure of your California State Income Tax refund.

Community service

If you cannot afford to pay the fine, you may appear in person and request to perform community service in lieu of the fine at your arraignment date (date listed on your citation). If your case qualifies and your request for community service is granted, you will still be required to pay court fees as well as community service registration and daily fees.

Night court

On the 2nd Wednesday of every month, CMJC will have extended hours and provide services until 6:15p.m including video conference for traffic arraignment hearings and assistance via the traffic virtual public counter.

Look up your traffic case online

Public Case Access System — Traffic Division

The Sacramento Superior Court’s Public Case Access System provides the ability to look up and where applicable, to pay traffic citations online.

If your citation was issued within the last 90 days, and you do not find it on this system, you are still responsible for appearing at the court on the date listed at the bottom of your citation. Failure to do so can result in additional penalties and suspension of your driving privilege.

Users must create an account to access documents and a public access fee will be charged for viewing case documents.

Traffic Call Center

You can also call the Traffic Call Center for general information and information regarding your traffic matter.

Traffic Call Center (916) 669-5712
Monday – Friday 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday – 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.

Modification of sentence

If your case is currently in collections (GC Services or DDR) and your ability to pay has changed since your last hearing, you may be eligible to request a modification of sentence of your traffic fines.

In order for an Ex Parte Application for Modification of Sentence to be considered for your case(s), the following must apply:

  • Your case must have been filed at the Carol Miller Justice Center. Cases heard and sentenced at any other courthouse do not apply.
  • Your case(s) must be in collections at the Sacramento County Department of Revenue Recovery or GC Services.
  • You must not have previously received a fine reduction pursuant to the Traffic Amnesty Program on the case for which you are applying for a modification of sentence.

In order to request a modification of sentence, you can complete and submit the Ex Parte Application for Modification of Sentence Based on Ability to Pay either in person or by mail to:

Sacramento Superior Court, Traffic Division
301 Bicentennial Circle, Room 100
Sacramento, CA 95826

You can also request a modification online at

Find more information about modifying your sentence on the court’s website.

Common questions

My case is with the DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE RECOVERY (DRR): What does that mean?

The County of Sacramento Department of Revenue Recovery (DRR) collects revenue for the County, including the traffic court.

If you wish to pay the fine (bail) and close your case, but cannot do so all at once, you may request to make monthly payments.

Once your monthly payment plan has been established by the court, the DRR will process the monthly billing and payments on behalf of the court.

While your case is active at DRR, you may be able to negotiate your payment plan to fit your current situation. As long as you make a payment, your case stays in Revenue & Recovery. If you become delinquent, your case will be returned to court for failure to pay which includes additional penalties and a suspension of your driving privilege.

My case is with GC SERVICES: What does that mean?

GC Services is a Collection Agency whose purpose is to collect the money owed for your traffic citations and fees. If your case has been sent to GC Services for collection, the court can no longer assist you due to lack of jurisdiction. You may not submit payment or proof of correction to the court. For information regarding your case, contact GC Services at 1-800-333-8395.

I am currently incarcerated. How do I handle a ticket?

If a person is currently incarcerated, they may file a Vehicle Code § 41500 motion. This motion asks the court to dismiss warrants, and/or other holds resulting from Vehicle Code violations. Download a sample VC § 41500 motion.

Consult a professional

Locating a lawyer who is willing to handle your case can be challenging. Here are a few online directories that allow you to search for attorneys by practice area, location, and name:

Attorney Search Network

LegalMatch California

Shopping cart0
There are no products in the cart!