Guardianship of a Child – Person and Estate Category: Guardianship and Conservatorship


Guardianship is a court proceeding in which a judge gives a responsible adult custody of a minor child, power over the child’s estate, or both. Guardianships are often handled in probate court, but if a child is a dependent of the juvenile court, only the juvenile court may appoint a legal guardian for that child. Both types are discussed briefly below, although the resources recommended on this page primarily address probate guardianships.


Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit
Caring for Another’s Child: Caregiver’s Authorization Affidavit

Learn About It Frequently parents find that they need someone else, often a grandparent or other family member, to care for and make decisions for their children, but they do not want to establish a formal guardianship. There are a variety of factors that can attribute to why parents and...

Read More
Emancipation of Children

Learn About It As children enter their teen years and gain more independence from parents, both may have questions regarding the process, legal requirements and consequences of emancipation. Emancipation is a legal way for children to become adults before they turn eighteen. Under California law, a minor may be emancipated...

Read More
Extra notice of hearing requirement in probate cases: Zoom videoconference information

If you are the petitioner in a probate, guardianship, or conservatorship case, you must serve a special Zoom videoconference notification along with the standard notice paperwork for upcoming hearings. Because of COVID-19, the court began holding hearings over Zoom videoconferencing. If you can’t use video, you can participate by telephone....

Read More
SH@LL (Self Help @ the Law Library) (formerly Civil Self Help Center)
Accidents and Torts
SH@LL provides general information and basic assistance to people without attorneys on a variety of civil legal issues. All assistance is provided by telephone or Zoom videoconference. Visit “What We Help With” for a list of qualifying cases. Eligibility: Must be a Sacramento County resident or have a qualifying case in the Sacramento County Superior Court.
Senior Legal Hotline
Estates Wills and Trusts
Free legal advice and assistance to those age 60+ on almost any civil issue. Common issues are tenants’ rights, estate planning, grandparent’s rights, pensions, and public benefits. No criminal law or assistance with conservatorships. Must have legal immigratnt status.
Family Law Facilitator
Courts and Procedure
Family law self help assistance, including forms assistance, file review, preparation of orders and judgments and other forms of procedural assistance. Also assists with Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, Elder Abuse Restraining Orders,  Probate Guardianship, and Limited Conservatorship cases. Eligibility: Must have family law case in Sacramento County Superior Court.
Capital Pro Bono Guardianship Assistance
Guardianship and Conservatorship
Capital Pro Bono can help you obtain guardianship over a minor child who is not your own. This may be necessary if the child’s parents are deceased or currently unable to care for the child. CPB can also provide advice if you need to get conservatorship over an adult. This may be needed to properly care for a disabled adult. CPB unfortunately cannot provide any help if the child or adult has money that needs to be managed.
Clearing Probate Calendar Notes for Guardianship or Conservatorship

Background In Sacramento, the probate file examiner reviews the pleadings and court files in each guardianship or conservatorship case, and creates a document noting anything that remains to be filed, or which appears to be omitted from the pleadings. This document is posted on the court’s website approximately 10-12 calendar...

Read More
Aclarar las Notas de Calendario en un caso de Tutela (Clearing Probate Notes in a Guardianship Case)

Contexto En Sacramento, el examinador de archivos de testamentarios revisa las solicitudes y expedientes de la corte en cada caso de tutela (“guardianship”) o tutelaje (“conservatorship”), y crea un documento que señala cuales formularios necesarios aún tienen que ser archivados con la corte. Esta información se publica en el sitio...

Read More
Declaration of Diligent Search: Guardianship-Dispensing with Notice to Missing Relative

You may also need…. Finding People and Businesses Clearing Probate Calendar Notes for Guardianships or Conservatorships Background If you do not know the name or address of a person you need to serve or cannot locate the person, Sacramento County Superior Court requires that you complete and file a Declaration...

Read More
Declaración de búsqueda: tutela (Declaration of Diligent Search: Guardianship)

Prescindiendo de aviso a un pariente desaparecido Guías Relacionadas Finding People and Businesses (Búsqueda de personas y negocios) (en inglés) Aclarar las notas del calendario en un casos de tutela Antecedente Si no conoce el nombre o la dirección de una persona que necesita para servir o no puede localizar...

Read More
Shopping cart0
There are no products in the cart!